This article will give you the best usage tips for Commusoft on Android devices. Your device must also meet our minimum spec: Minimum requirements.
Close the app when not in use
The app does not log out once installed, so please close the app once the day's work is completed and open again at the start of the day. This will help the overall performance of the app and also reduce battery usage. To close the app simply click into your recent apps list on your device (button on the bottom left) and swipe the app closed.
Keep the app updated
If you don’t keep your app up to date, you won’t be able to take advantage of the latest features and fixes. You can enable auto-update with these following steps:
1. Open the Google Play Store.
2. Touch the hamburger icon in the top-left, swipe up and choose Settings.
3. Under General, tap 'Auto-update apps'.
If you want updates over Wi-Fi only, choose the option: 'Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only'.
If you want updates as and when they become available, choose the second option: 'Auto-update apps at any time'.
Keep app notifications on
Notifications in Commusoft make sure you’re aware of any changes to diary events, it’s important to make sure these are turned on. Otherwise, an engineer may someday find themselves at a property where a job has been rearranged or without a key part that was requested at the last minute.
Do not uninstall the app unless advised by support
If the app is uninstalled when you have an issue we can not fully investigate the issue and you will lose any data which have not reached the server, so please contact support first.
Do not keep the app on devices that are no longer in use
It's good practice to remove apps from devices you have used in the past but no longer need.
Ensure that Google backup is switched off
We advise turning Auto backup of apps off on your phone as this will prevent your device from saving additional copies of all photos you take and documents you create, using up data and battery.
If you want to keep this feature enabled, not a problem, however, it is important that you disable this feature if you ever have to reinstall the app, as it will automatically re-enable the backup of your app rather than a fresh install.
You can toggle Google backup on/of with these following steps:
1. Open your settings
2. Scroll down to 'Backup & reset'.
3. Toggle automatic restore with the slide bar.
Ensure all permissions are granted to the app
The app requests specific permissions required for special features. These permissions can be granted upon the initial download and can be altered later in your mobile settings:
- Contacts - Allows you to add a contact into Commusoft from your phone’s contact list.
- Microphone - Access to the microphone allows you to record voice notes.
- Storage - Allows you to upload files from your phone on to jobs and customer profiles.
- Telephone - Allows you to make calls directly from the app.
- Location - Records GPS coordinates for travel and directions to jobs.
Re-setting your network connections using Airplane mode can be a very useful method of solving sync issues. Sometimes when a phone is switching between WiFi and 4G it can incorrectly show as connected to a network. Enabling Airplane mode for a moment and disabling it will allow your phone to connect to the correct network and let any un-synced data come through.
System diagnostics page
You can open the system diagnostics page by selecting the three white lines in the top left of the app, scroll down to your settings, and select 'System Diagnostics'.
- App version - This is the current version of your app. The most up to date version can be found on the Google Play Store. An update button will appear on the Play Store if you’re not on the latest version of the app.
- Syncing status - This will state your current sync state with two possible values: Active or Inactive.
- Local sync sequence - This is the sequence number that your device syncing is currently on. If this is between 0-500 numbers less than the Server sync sequence number below it, please follow the instructions for “Send report to support” below.
- Server sync sequence - This number is the sequence number of your company’s database on the server.
Send report to support
Please use this button only if you believe your app has stopped syncing, or if the local sync sequence number is much lower than the server sync sequence number. This will send us a report of the current syncing status of your app and will automatically restart the syncing. Your app will sync up within the next 5 minutes depending on your internet connection.
If you are ever having issues on your device there are a few quick troubleshooting steps you can take before contacting support using the tips above.
- Swipe the app shut and reopen
- If data is not snycing through, check your Local sync and Server sync numbers to see if it might be network related.
- Toggle airplane mode on an off.
If you ever have any questions or issues please don’t hesitate to contact our support team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To allow us to assist you as quickly as possible please include as much relevant information as possible in your email. This can include a clear subject line, any relevant account, invoice or certificate numbers and if possible screenshots of where in the app and precisely what you are inquiring about, especially the system diagnostics page. You can capture a screenshot on most devices by pressing and holding the power button and volume down button simultaneously.